For the pastry base
- 1 cup cold butter cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
For the lemon layer
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- zest of two lemons very finely chopped
- juice of 2 lemons about 2/3 to 3/4 cup juice
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13 baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, making sure to leave some overhang for easy removal, and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Cube the butter into smaller pieces and add to the flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter (or your hands) cut the butter into the mixture until it's crumbly and starts to come together. Scoop the mixture into the prepared baking pan and press it down into one even layer.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes, or just until the top is set and edges are lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside. Keep oven temperature at 350°F.
To make the lemon filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar and flour. Add in the eggs and lemon juice and mix until fully combined. Pour the lemon filling over the crust and return to the oven.
- Bake at 350°F for 18-22 minutes or until the lemon filling is set. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool for 1 hour, then cover tightly, and refrigerate for at least two hours. Sift powdered sugar on top, slice into bars, and enjoy!